Sunday, July 13, 2008

4b Reflections revised Group 2 Steinbeck

Bievenidos A Newport Beach by Firoozeh Dumas

Cindi Schuler did a nice job of describing what the author was trying to convey. Newport Beach sound like a very "cookie cutter" community, all the houses were painted the same colors and had to keep their doors closed, with a lot of odd rules such as your garbage cans cannot be put out more than 24 hours before the scheduled pick-up and must be put away immediately after pick-up. In some ways I understand why the rules are needed, but maybe they are a little over board with them. Newport Beach sounds like a very wealthy community and this is why there is so many rules. The author had to move many times and I believe that Newport Beach was her eighth move.


Montalvo, Myths and Dreams of Home
By Thomas Steinbeck

This story was about the Spanish influences on California literature with a whimsical outlook. Steinbeck writes of his fond memories of the "good old California". He writes the way Alice in Wonderland was written.
My favorite sentence was: "Even though I cannot now call those secluded canyons and cliffs home, my abiding memories of this lonely span of California coastline holds my soul in thrall and delights the imagination beyond all else I know" page 67.
I enjoyed this sentence because I would feel the same way he does if I had grown up in beautiful Big Sur and seen all the growth and change.
The thing I learned from this story is that Thomas Steinbeck served in the Vietnam war and then returned to Vietnam as a "combat photographer", what an interesting man he is.

No comments: