Sunday, July 13, 2008

4a Group #2 Humes


The Last Little Beach Town by Edward Humes
This essay was about the un-touched beauty of Seal Beach in Orange County. The author is able to make you feel as though you are seeing what he is describing. Seal Beach is very unique because it is Southern California but luckily has not been affected by all the rapid growth. Humes feels the only thing that has "saved " this beach community is that the Old Downtown is not on Pacific Coast Highway, but set back a few blocks inland, so it has not yet been discovered.
My favorite sentence was: "Take it. Come back and pay whenever you get a chance. This what we call the Seal Beach Way." Page 69-70. I thought that was so cool of the clerk to have trust and give someone the benefit of the doubt, this is so unheard of nowadays, I wish it wasn't.
The one thing that I learned from reading this essay is now I want to visit Seal Beach and plan to drive down once I am done with summer school.

No comments: